Showing 39 results

Authority record
Glasgow Women's Library (GWL)

Women's Church Resource Group, religious activist group, 1989-1996

  • GB 1543 WCR1
  • Corporate body
  • 1989-1996

Following the end of the United Nations decade on women in 1985, a working party exploring the position of women in church was set up in Scotland. On 19 March 1988 an open meeting was held at which Sister Mary Kilpatrick, Secretary Justice and Peace Commission and Mary Shanahan, a Roman Catholic and experienced educational worker, spoke. A year later in 1989, with financial support from the Falkland Community Trust, the Women's Church Resource Group's centre was launched at 15d Hill Street, Glasgow. Co-ordinated by Mary Shanahan and supported by a group of about thirty women, including Pat MacEachan, Honor Hania, Betty Campbell, Kathie Walsh and Barnie Pugh, the WCRG's aim was to support and develop the understanding of the role of women in church and society through training, study, employment and support. On 16 May, 1996 the last steering group meeting was held and two years later the papers, books and resources of the group were donated to Glasgow Women's Library.

Women Live Scotland

  • GB 1534 WL
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-1987

Women Live was started in Edinburgh in the autumn of 1981 inspired by the work of Women in Entertainment, which was based in London. The aim of Women Live was to encourage women’s work in the arts and media in Scotland and to explore and campaign around issues such as stereotyping and distortion of women’s experience in the media and the status of women in society at large.

The 1982 festival was their first event. It was financed by the Scottish Arts Council and through sponsorship and membership fees of the initial 100 women who joined Women Live. It was a great success, with nearly three shows per day at the Netherbow Theatre (the centre of the festival) for the whole of the festival, along with other exhibitions and events. The following year in 1983, the festival was equally successful with shows all over Edinburgh. Women Live also participated in the Women's Health Fair in 1983 which coincided with the last weekend of the Women Live festival. Throughout this time regular meetings and events took place, with newsletters keeping members informed of the group’s activities. Due to lack of funding a festival was not planned for 1984. However, there were several events throughout the year. In 1985, thanks to Edinburgh District Council, Women Live were able to stage another festival known as the Spring Fling. This festival was not as long, just over a week, and was also mostly based at the Pleasance theatre as opposed to various venues.

Wellpark Enterprise Centre, 1996-2002

  • GB 1534 WEC1
  • Corporate body
  • 1996-2002

The Wellpark Enterprise Centre (1996-2002) was a women’s’ enterprise centre based in the east end of Glasgow that sought to encourage women to engage in enterprise. It provided a range of resources, including 590sqm of subletting space, ICT services, as well as running projects designed to support potential, nascent and existing women-led businesses. From 2001 onwards, due to reliance on grants from funding partners and [little in the way of active monetary returns], it experienced financial difficulties, eventuality resulting in the liquidation of the company board, and a hand-over of the company and its remaining assets to Glasgow City Council on 1st June 2002.

Walter Seagal Self-Build Trust

  • Corporate body
  • 1985-

The Walter Seagal Self-Build Trust was founded upon the death of Seagal, the architect, in 1985. It aimed to promote his ideas on self-building and encourage projects.

The Meridian, 1994-2007, BAME women's centre

  • GB 1534 MA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1994-2007

The Meridian was Glasgow’s first women's centre focused on black, Asian and minority ethnic women. Started in 1994, the Meridian aimed to empower women to live their own lives through education—including lifelong learning programmes, as well as health and language education—as well as offering communal events for women to connect and socialise, such as dances and celebrations from many different cultures. Creche and summer events were also offered to support with child care. It closed down in 2007.

Take Root

  • TR
  • Corporate body
  • 1993 - 2000s

Take Root was a self-build group which existed from 1993 to the early 2000s. It was formed from staff from the Glasgow Women’s Library and aimed to provide women on low income, and in need of housing, the opportunity to build their own homes. It followed the work of Walter Seagal, the architect who pioneered easy-to-build, cheap houses with timber frames.

St Andrews Women's Liberation Group, feminist organisation, c. 1970 - 1980

  • GB 1534 SWL1
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1970 - 1980

The St Andrews Women’s Liberation Group was a feminist activist group active from the 1960s – 1980s that tackled issues related to lesbians, parenthood, finances, education, abortion, abuse, assault, politics, society, and women’s independence. The first official meeting was on the 5th November 1970. Newsletters were circulated discussing various views of feminism, the difference between “radical” and “socialist” feminism, and published articles further exploring the best way to campaign for women’s equality in Scotland. Furthermore, national conferences were held with other Women’s Liberation Groups in order to help define the feminist agenda, and, on a personal level, consciousness raising groups were held for women to meet and discuss their feelings and desires.

Spare Rib

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-1993

Spare Rib was a second-wave feminist magazine and an active part of the emerging Women’s Liberation Movement in the late 20th century. Running from 1972-1993, this now iconic magazine challenged the stereotyping and exploitation of women, while supporting collective, realistic solutions to the hurdles women faced.

Socialist Sunday School, c. 1890 - 1980

  • GB 1534 SU1
  • Corporate body
  • c. 1890 - 1980

The Socialist Sunday School was an educational organisation created in Glasgow in the 1890s in order to teach children and young people the ideals and principals of socialism. Though associated with political stances instead of a religious one, the Schools adhered to a "religion of love’" perspective, pushing for equality and peace, and giving the younger generation the tools they needed to help bring the ideals of socialism to fruition. Children attended meetings, recorded minutes, were taught through literature, music and art, and were encouraged to form their own opinions, ask questions, and become active, conscientious people. Furthermore, the organisation was committed to women’s equality. Girls were treated equally in schools and the movement recognised a less stereotypical role for women. Women activists and equality campaigns were frequently referencedin the Sunday School’s magazine ‘Young Socialist’, and those who attended the School attribute its practice in equality to have informed their views on gender relations. The schools were renamed ‘The Socialist Fellowship’ in 1965, but due to a lack of adult support, the last traces of the movement were extinguished in 1980.

Results 1 to 10 of 39