Showing 408 results

Authority record

Hemat Gryffe Women's Aid

  • HG
  • Corporate body
  • 1981 -

Gryffe Women's Aid was established in 1981, and was the first Asian, Black and Minority Ethnic Women's Aid group in Scotland. The group's first refuge was opened in a cottage at Quarriers Village by the river Gryffe in Kilmacolm in the same year and ran at the same location until 1997.

The group began with a group of 15 volunteers in Inverclyde, introducing one full-time and two-part time workers in 1982. By 1990, 12 workers were employed at Hemat Gryffe, however, after Urban Aid funding ended, the project ran without funds for two years. The drop-in centre at Hope Street was closed and the group lacked a home base, but continued to provide women with support and services.

In 1994/5, a small grant from Strathclyde Council, supplemented by money from J. Paul Getty, allowed a drop-in centre to be opened on Willow Street. It was at this time that Hemat, meaning "courage" was added to the group's name. The refuge at Quarriers Village was closed and spaces were offered in flats throughout Glasgow. In 1998, a new purpose built refuge space was opened with room for 12 families and single women. Further funding allowed other refuges to be opened in the West End of Glasgow in the following few years, including a refuge for elderly Asian, Black and Minority Ethnic women, supported by Scottish Homes and Southside Housing Association.

The group continues to provide refuge, support, services, and outreach to women and children today.

Hamilton Women's Aid

  • HA
  • Corporate body
  • 1984 - 2011

Hamilton Women's Aid was founded in January 1984, as part of an initiative between Hamilton Homeless Action Group, Scottish Women's Aid, and Hamilton District Social Work Department. The collective was volunteer led and offered women support and information on topics such a legal issues, welfare, the police, and housing legislation. In 1987, the group moved offices from Almada Street to Burnbank Centre, where they were able to have a dedicated space for counselling. During this year, the Hamilton District Council provided a refuge space, which opened in 1988, and the first paid workers took up their posts. In 1990, the first two children's workers began working with the group.

In 1997, the need for services to be expanded to cover more of South Lanarkshire was identified and the group was successful in gaining funding for a new refuge and office.

The group officially became Hamilton and Clydesdale Women's Aid at the AGM held on November 3, 1998. Then, in 2011, East Kilbride Women's Aid and Hamilton Women's Aid merged together to form Women's Aid South Lanarkshire, before taking on the East Renfrewshire remit and becoming Women's Aid South Lanarkshire & East Renfrewshire (WASLER) in 2014.

Glasgow Women's Aid

  • GL
  • Corporate body
  • 1973 -

Glasgow Women's Aid (GWA), established in 1973, was the second Women's Aid group in Scotland. Routed in second wave feminist ideologies, the group formed to offer support to women with experiences of domestic abuse. As the organisation grew, providing care for children and young people also became a central focus. Initially, GWA was driven by volunteers and donations, but now they receive funding through Glasgow City Council and the Scottish Government. Currently, the group has six refuges throughout Glasgow, which provide space for 37 families.

Glasgow East Women's Aid

  • GE
  • Corporate body
  • 1993 -

Glasgow East Women's Aid began as Greater Easterhouse Women's Aid in 1993, as part of Glasgow Women's Aid. In 1995, the group became autonomous from the Glasgow group, gained charitable status, and began working as a collective. They changed their name to Glasgow East in 2008 and became a Company Limited by Guarantee with charitable status. They provide support, refuge, and counselling to women, children, and young people affected by domestic abuse, as well as training to agencies, organisations, and individuals.

Scottish Abortion Campaign

  • GB1534 SAC
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-

The Scottish Abortion Campaign was formed in 1980 to defend The Abortion Act 1967. Their formation came in reaction to two anti-abortion campaigns lead by Scottish MPs, James White in 1975 and and John Corrie in 1979. The Scottish campaign was affiliated to the National Abortion Campaign, later renamed Abortion Rights, which had been formed five years earlier.

The Lesbians and Policing Project, 1984-1990

  • GB1534 LP1
  • Corporate body
  • 1984-1990

The Lesbians and Policing Project (Lespop) was a project developed from the Gay London Police Monitoring Group (GALOP) in 1985 in order to support lesbians in relation to the abuse faced from the police. Based in London they offered workshops and phone-line services often focusing on how race and disability intersected with sexuality to influence treatment of lesbians by the police. Their advice focussed on how to deal with police raids, tactics for demonstrations, legal advice, and information on Section 28. Lespop also sought to research treatment of Lesbians by the police by working with lesbians in London.

Harpies and Quines

  • GB1534 HQ
  • Corporate body
  • 1992-1994

Harpies and Quines was a feminist magazine, founded in Scotland in 1992 by journalist and broadcaster Lesley Riddoch. The magazine was shortlisted for the Orwell Prize and unsuccessfully sued by the women's magazine Harpers and Queen, before being declared bankrupt in 1994.

MacKinnon, Barbara Robertson (c.1920s-2010s)

  • GB1534 BM1
  • Person
  • c.1920s-2010s

Barbara Robertson MacKinnon was born on the Isle of Skye. Her first language was Gaelic. She trained at the Royal Infirmary in Greenock in 1943 and worked there until 1947. She then worked at the Bellshill Maternity Hospital from October 1948 to November 1949. She was a district nurse from January 1953 to May 1953 and then became a Staff Nurse at the Infirmary in Greenock from October 1947 to October 1948. After this, she worked at a number of hospitals and as a district nurse in several areas in Scotland, including hospitals in Inverness, Moray and Nairn, John Martin Hospital on the Isle of Skye, Argyll and Bute, Dr Grays Hopsital in Moray, and the Orkney Islands. She finished her career by working at the Nursing Offices in Orkney until 1981.

Results 21 to 30 of 408