A Woman's Place

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

A Woman's Place

Parallel form(s) of name

  • AWP
  • AWP Collective

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

    Other form(s) of name

      Identifiers for corporate bodies

      Description area

      Dates of existence

      c.1970-c.1986

      History

      A Woman's Place (AWP) was a feminist collective and women's resource and information centre based at Hungerford House, Victoria Embankment, London WC2. Established around the early 1970s, AWP was a key site of knowledge exchange and connection for women across and beyond the WLM, producing research reports, coordinating events and social gatherings (with childcare provision), and making a range of information services available to women. In the mid 1980s, AWP's upper space was home to the Feminist Library for a short time before the Library moved to its present home in Southwark around 1986.

      It is unclear when AWP wound up its operations, but material in CLCBLG/4 seems to indicate that this happened around c.1986.

      Places

      London

      Legal status

      Functions, occupations and activities

      Mandates/sources of authority

      Internal structures/genealogy

      General context

      Relationships area

      Access points area

      Place access points

      Occupations

      Control area

      Authority record identifier

      Maintained by

      Institution identifier

      GB 1534

      Rules and/or conventions used

      Status

      Revised

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Authority record created by Lucy Brownson on 10/09/2021.

      Language(s)

      • English

      Script(s)

        Maintenance notes